Tuesday, January 10, 2017

The Curated Closet

Happy 2017! How has this first week of the new year been for ya?

Gosh, it's only been a week, but I feel like things are already off to a phenomenal start! First, Ed Sheeran comes out with new music. {Praise the Lord he's back! Check out his lyric videos Castle On The Hill and Shape of You. They are beyond awesome.}

And now, I've gotten a great start on an amazing personal style book. I literally could not put this down yesterday, I was so inspired.

I give you.. The Curated Closet!


I originally found out about this book via the popular lifestyle blog, A Beautiful Mess. Curious, I requested this at the library and yesterday got to pick it up.

Oh.

My.

Gosh.

This book.

Anuschka the author (she's German), does such an amazing job of hooking you from the intro and sharing her personal stories. Things like, closet full of clothes, but nothing to wear? Or, does it take you an hour to decide on an outfit? Or even, have a bunch of clothes, but nothing that feels like "you"?


Sigh... I know I could definitely relate. This past year I think my biggest sin (or detriment to my personal style) was accepting free clothes from others. Things people were going to donate, I took. Tops, shorts, shoes, jackets, etc. I got into a bad habit of not buying clothes of my own this past year.

In the Intro and Part 1 I read yesterday, Anuschka walks you through the state of your current closet and wardrobe. There's an in-depth list of questions she asks you to answer about your current style, along with her challenge to photograph your outfits for 14 days. Boy, were those questions reveling! It helped me identify seasons to dress for, and occasions to dress for. It felt great to realize I didn't have to choose one type (let's say, preppy) for all occasions (work/church/date night). I could dress in multiple styles.


My biggest fears when I picked up the book was that I would have to toss everything, and that I wouldn't be able to afford new items. It made me question if I should wait to read and work through this now. Fortunately, the author has squashed my fears. She confirmed that I already have a few good pieces that are my style, and I can buy new pieces over time, slowly. No need to rush out and buy everything new this month. Phew!

Even make small tweaks can make a huge difference. Check out these photos below. Blouse and skirt separates, I absolutely hate. They're too overwhelming for my 5'3" frame. They pinch in the waist too. I'd prefer a sundress with a belt to cinch the middle.



All in all, I think my main motivation in working through The Curated Closet is to really develop my own personal style. As I creep closer and closer to 30, I want to look ageless and timeless. I want to look polished and feminine. I want to look fabulous in photos 50 years from now.

Who wouldn't want that, right?


 photo AEE9CDC010348191FC652CBA68E0D666_zps1c1578b9.png

No comments:

Post a Comment