Thursday, April 9, 2015

Old Furniture Just Keeps Finding Me



This past weekend, a neighbor across the street put out a few pieces of furniture by the curb for the trash man to take on Tuesday.

More often then not, the curb-side furniture has severe water damage, is rotted, or is just falling apart. So, I noticed these pieces, but didn't pay them much mind. I figured the local pickers might drive by and take them anyway.

Well, they sat for the whole weekend (granted it was a holiday weekend), so I figured I'd take look since I was outside anyway. Much to my surprise, they were in fabulous condition! I was so shocked! No water damage, no missing pieces, and still pretty sturdy.


So of course I had to have them!

I sent my husband to ring the doorbell and see if they would mind if we took the furniture. They were thrilled! Apparently, both the dresser and secretary belonged to the wife's mother, so they were happy they were going to a good home to get some tlc.

What do you think of my finds?


From my research, I can place this piece as made in the 1950's. 
It was made in the French Provincial style, which was actually quite popular then. 
We tend to only think of mid-century modern when we think of the 50's, but French Provincial for bedroom sets (think feminine lines, whites and pastels) was super popular too. 


I know this looks pretty darn rough. And yes, you're pretty much right. 
My best guess would be that someone painted this piece white at one time, and then wanted to re-do it again and sanded it down (hence all the different colors and strokes). 
Or, maybe the white paint never happened, and this is the original piece that someone stripped and sanded down. 

Fortunately, all the hardware and door inserts were in a Ziploc bag just waiting to be put back together! Wohoo! That never happens.


They even got fancy on me and painted all the hardware gold. 
WHY oh WHY do people do that?!
I'm telling you-- original hardware is always the best! 

I can tell it's been painted by the bleeding in the back (see above). 
I'm going to have to use some chemicals and strip all that off. 


I could tell right away that this piece was missing something. The brace screws in the back told me that this dresser once had a mirror attached on top. Sadly, we don't have that piece, but that's alright! 


Above and below are images I found on a web search desperately trying to find what this dresser originally looked like. By using the maker's mark found inside a drawer, I at least had a starting point. 

Because I found two separate photos that have this off-white/cream/faint pink color shown, and knowing that color scheme was popular in the 1950's, I feel pretty confident that these photos show the dresser in it's original state. 



But of course I couldn't just take one piece of furniture... I had to also grab the secretary that was curb-side!


She's also a little rough... 

Obviously the paint is in bad shape. One shelf is missing. 
A set of drawer pulls are missing. 


However, this is going to be amazing storage for our home! 
I'm thinking office work station- laptop storage, deep drawers for office supplies, note cards, etc. 

This piece should be an easy flip, with just paint needed, a change of hardware and adding a shelf.


I've seen some beautiful flips of old secretaries on Pinterest. My contenders for paint colors include a deep navy, dark charcoal, or a sunflower yellow.

With this piece, I'm not as concerned with preserving the original look, as it's not as substantial or expensive as the lady's dresser above. I think I can go a little more wild with this one.


Well, I guess these will keep me busy this summer! "After" photos coming soon!
Happy furniture flipping!

 photo AEE9CDC010348191FC652CBA68E0D666_zps1c1578b9.png

No comments:

Post a Comment