Thursday, October 2, 2014

Adventures with Chalk Paint



I have been wanting to try out the phenomenon that is chalk paint for a while now, but just never took the plunge and bought the (pricey?) Annie Sloan brand, or dared to try to mix my own. 

Thankfully, my local Home Depot started offering a different brand of chalk paint, so I decided to give it a whirl! 

Here's my thrifted china cabinet before the chalk paint: 


I love this piece so much, that I was a tad nervous about going through with this project. I just couldn't quite picture it a different color. Thankfully, my husband gave me the push I needed, and we went for it! 


Here's some photos from the first coat of paint. 


The trick is to put on a thin, thin layer. The second coat will cover any imperfections, and make the color look more solid. 

My first coat had tons of brush marks in it, as seen in this photo:


I used Americana Decor chalk paint in Vintage found at Home Depot, along with some bristled brushes.

My total cost for this project includes: 
2 cans Americana Decor chalk paint $15
1 can Americana Decor chalk paint wax finish $8
5 or so bristle paint brushes $5
Sandpaper $0
Beadboard backing $20

TOTAL COST: $48

After letting Coat #1 dry overnight, I slathered on Coat #2:


 Looks more solid in color, huh? 

Once that dried, I took some sandpaper and went to town distressing it. The chalk paint sands off very easy, so be careful not to take off too much! A power sander would not be ideal to use. 

Here are a few close up's of the distressing I did: 





After sanding, we hit it with a clear coat of the wax finish. Perfect!

Then, we tacked in the beadboard backing (also found at Home Depot), and we were ready to go!


What do ya think?

It definitely lightens up a dark, heavy wood piece. The new paint makes me feel like this piece is more feminine and shabby chic! Love!

 photo AEE9CDC010348191FC652CBA68E0D666_zps1c1578b9.png

No comments:

Post a Comment