Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Quilts for Kids - Weeks 3 & 4

Two weeks ago, we left off with almost finishing up the quilt top for this adorable quilt I'm making for the organization, Quilts for Kids.

I'm getting closer and closer to completing my quilt, so let me bring you up to speed.

Last time we left off, we were here:

I was just attaching the inner border, and ironing the fabric for the outer border.

Since last time, I've gotten this far... What do ya think?

My entire quilt top is complete! Now, it's time to add the fluffy middle and the backing.

I layered the back fabric (wrong side up), then the fluffy batting, and finally my quilt top, and pinned all around.

Fortunately, I bought batting that came in a bag and was cut to a size very close to what I needed. I think they actually did call it "baby/child quilt". Super helpful! Super not helpful- two curious kittens trying to bite/eat the batting. Darn cats! ;)

Here's a photo of the layered quilt. You can see the lime green backing poking through.

Once the quilt was layered and pinned, it was time to get quilting! I swapped out my regular sewing machine foot for a quilting foot, and got to work!

Boy, was it tough! Managing all that fabric on one little table-top was tricky. I had to find the perfect balance of feeding the fabric through without pushing it through too fast, and getting teeny tiny stitches. Oy vay!

Here's some photos (of the back) showing the different designs I've quilted on so far.



I still have to quilt another diagonal line (from left to right), and then I can work on the edges!

Almost there! Stay tuned for my final post and the reveal!

 photo AEE9CDC010348191FC652CBA68E0D666_zps1c1578b9.png

No comments:

Post a Comment