Sunday, August 3, 2014

First Friday Book Review - A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23

Title and Author: A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23  By: W. Phillip Keller

Release Date: 2007 (originally published in 1970)


Page Length: 176 pages


How I got the Book: Amazon


Find OnlineGoodreads Amazon ChristianBook.com

Description“The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want …” Travel the shepherd’s path to the green pastures and cool, refreshing waters of Psalm 23. As a shepherd, Phillip Keller shares his insights into the life and character of sheep—and of the Good Shepherd who loves and cares for them. This beloved classic will give new meaning to the ageless Shepherd Psalm, enriching your trust in and love for the Lord who watches closely over you.

My Thoughts:
There are so many aspects of this book that I love, I don't even know where to begin! First of all, the book is short. It's a cute little paperback with 12 short chapters. It was a perfect read during my sabbatical weekend this past weekend.

Although originally written over 40 years ago, Keller's language is straight-forward and easy to read. He puts in just enough detail, which is perfect!

Technical aspects aside, I have really loved looking deeper into Psalm 23. You know how at church, a pastor will share a passage, and then break down each verse or each word with background information? Things like- what was going on historically during the time, or sharing the Greek or Hebrew equivalent word for a better understanding of it's meaning. I just love when pastors do that!

In this book, Keller shares deep insight into the life of a shepherd. He gives lots of information related to caring for sheep that David (the author of this Psalm) would have been very familiar with. Keller then ties back this knowledge of shepherding to each line of the Psalm, sharing how much God cares for us as The Great Shepherd.

Overall: 
For many of us, thinking about God as our Father can be a challenge. Here, we are offered an opportunity to think about God as our Shepherd. How wonderful it was to learn in this new way, that God cares for me so much, just as a shepherd cares for each of his wonderful and coveted sheep.

This book helped me refocus and remember that God will absolutely take care of my life. It is my joy to have Him care for me, and for me to follow where He leads! "The Lord... He is my Shepherd!"

Enjoy!


 photo AEE9CDC010348191FC652CBA68E0D666_zps1c1578b9.png

No comments:

Post a Comment