Friday, June 6, 2014

First Friday Book Review - Good Call

Title and AuthorGood Call: Reflections on Faith, Family, and Fowl By: Jase Robertson, with Mark Schlabach 

Release Date: May 2014


Page Length: 256 pages


How I got the Book: public library


Find OnlineGoodreads Amazon ChristianBook.com

Description: The closer we look at the Robertson family, the more we discover the substance and authenticity below the surface of these well-known TV characters. In this enlightening book, Jase Robertson gives us a deep look behind his funnyman exterior. In addition to stories of life in the Robertson family and epic tales of hunting of all kinds, readers will get an inside look at Jase’s personal faith in the Creator of the outdoors he so dearly loves: 

“My first thoughts about God came in a duck blind as I gazed upon the diversity and beauty of creation. There is nothing in nature that can be reproduced or equaled by humans. None of our computers, microchips, or cell phones can duplicate what God has put forth. Viewing the details of this magnificent earth is better than any sermon from any preacher I have heard about the evidence of God.” 

More than a behind-the-scenes look at this beloved Duck Dynasty character, readers will be inspired and encouraged to implement Jase’s “good call” reflections on faith, family, and fowl into their own lives.

My Thoughts:
For this month, I wanted to read something lighthearted and fun. I had gotten deep insights and reflections with other month's books, so with the summer I wanted to read something fun and totally different.

I was drawn to the book because I identify with Jase most out of all the Robertson family members. I too, am awestruck by God by spending time outdoors. I feel most close to Him there. There is nothing man-made that could ever compare to the beauty in nature that God has created.

Yes, This is a Christian Book: 
Good Call was a wonderfully easy read, but what shocked me the most was how much of his faith Jase shares in this book. I was so impressed by the way he has committed his life to evangelizing and reaching the lost and broken people. He states that within the first year of his marriage, him and Missy (his wife) evangelized to anyone and everyone, and baptized close to 100 people.  Wow! What did I do during my first year of marriage?

This book definitive encouraged me right where I am in life- a young married woman. It reminded me that I can do great work for God without a family of my own (children) or a large extended family (multiple brothers, sisters, etc). All you have to do is have the heart to do God's work.

Overall: 
If you're thinking "Oh, this is just another Duck Dynasty book", I would urge you to give it a chance. Hearing the (honest) story of another's life can be so encouraging for our faith. You'll find hilarious stories right alongside stories that will make you cry (try Chapter 10, where he talks about his daughter). There is definitely more to this "tv star" than jokes, beards, and frog catching.

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment