Friday, May 2, 2014

First Friday Book Review - Every Day a Friday

Title and AuthorEvery Day a Friday: How to Be Happier 7 Days a Week By: Joel Osteen

Release Date: September 2011


Page Length: 304 pages


How I got the Book: Public library


Find OnlineGoodreads Amazon ChristianBook.com

Description: "The title comes from research that shows people are happiest on Fridays. Pastor Joel Osteen writes how we can generate this level of contentment and joy every day of the week.
Known as a man who maintains a constant positive outlook in spite of circumstances, Osteen has described this message as a core theme of his ministry. Combining his personal experiences with scriptural insights and principles for true happiness, he shows readers how every day can hold the same promise and opportunities for pure joy that they experience at five o'clock on Friday."

My Thoughts:
If I were to share with you I've read this amazing book on how to find joy in each day, you'd want to hear more. Guaranteed. If I told you I've read a Joel Osteen book, you probably would give me weird looks.

Sadly, most Christians don't understand the charismatic movement, and label Joel as a smiling phony. While that's a post for another time and place, here's why I loved this book.

Fridays
Everyone loves Friday. I'm a little happier. On Fridays, I think about things I love- coffee dates with my husband, pay day, lunch with a friend, the boss is even nicer on Fridays. Why can't all my days be like that!?

Fortunately they can be. "This is the day the Lord has made" (Psalm 118:24 NKJV; emphasis added). Joel encourages us to see each day as a special day, a victory day, a day where something can be good.

Express Your Joy
As Christians we know that joy far outweighs happiness. Joel shares that we are supposed to be more joyful than those around us because "God has anointed You with the oil of gladness more than Your companions" (Hebrews 1:9). For me, that just clicked. I'm supposed to be showing joy and happiness far more than others around me. Wow, I have not been stepping up to the plate on that one! God knows we have to deal with negative people around us all day. He has given us an advantage- His spirit of joy. 

Bloom Where You Are Planted
Another topic Joel discusses in Everyday a Friday, is this idea of blooming where you are planted. So often in life we are not in our ideal situations. Our job isn't the best. Our family isn't the most loving or caring. Friends are going through a tough time and are negative. We always think that if things around us change, then we will be happy. Then we can rest easy and smile more. But Joel challenges us by sharing that "A better approach is, 'This is where God has placed me right now, and until He moves me, I'll be happy where I am'". I just love that.

Overall:
This book was the right book at the right time for me. I had been feeling so discouraged about all that was going on around me (personal and work life), that I just needed a reminder on how to live with God's joy filling me every day. I feel like I have a better attitude and countenance during my day. Specifically this week, I've been trying to find one thing of joy in each day and meditate on that.

I would highly recommend this book, and would encourage you to also check out his weekly podcast messages for even more encouragement!

No comments:

Post a Comment