Friday, April 11, 2014

First (make that Second...) Friday Book Review - Not a Fan

Title and AuthorNot a Fan: Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Jesus By: Kyle Idleman

Release Date: June 2011


Page Length: 215 pages


How I got the Book: ChristianBook.com


Find OnlineGoodreads Amazon ChristianBook.com

Description: "Are you a follower of Jesus? Don't answer too quickly. In fact, you may want to read this book before you answer at all. Consider it a 'Define the Relationship' conversation to determine exactly where you stand. You may indeed be a passionate, fully devoted follower of Jesus. Or, you may be just a fan who admires Jesus but isn't ready to let him cramp your style. Then again, maybe you're not into Jesus, period.In any case, don't take the question---Are you a follower of Jesus?---lightly.

Some people don't know what they've said yes to and other people don't realize what they've said no to, says Pastor Kyle Idleman. But Jesus is ready to clearly define the relationship he wants with his followers.Not a Fan calls you to consider the demands and rewards of being a true disciple. With frankness sprinkled with humor, Idleman invites you to live the way Jesus lived, love the way he loved, pray the way he prayed, and never give up living for the One who gave his all for you."


My Thoughts:
I've sat down three times to write this book review for you, but each time has been difficult. I'm stumped- how do I share how amazing this book is?! How do I encourage others to read Not a Fan? It's a Christian book about being a better Christian. If you're not wanting to dive deep into your faith, this book is probably not for you. It's not a marriage book, a weight-loss book, or even a book on how to pray. Truly, it's a call to examine your faith. 

Not a Fan asks you to really examine if you are following Jesus, or just a fan who likes the thought of a Christian life, but only lets Jesus in to certain areas. It asks, am I putting my relationship with God in the forefront of my life? Am I turning everything over to Him? Kyle talks about the "decision to believe" versus the "commitment to follow". What have I decided to do with my life?


Define the Relationship? Huh?

Kyle walks readers through a series of scenarios and questions to help understand "followership" versus "fandom". He goes through specific stories from the Bible that highlight others who have had to make the decision to follow Jesus (and radically change their life) or to just be a fan of Jesus, and remain the same. 

After reading through the difference between a Christian fan and a Christian follower, Kyle challenges us in Parts 2 and 3 of the book to put that following into action. He reminds us that this journey is a "passionate pursuit"; a journey of "total surrender". He says, "There is no way to follow Jesus without him interfering with your life". 



Applicable to My Life & Others Around Me
Not only did Not a Fan help me better understand my faith, but it helped me understand on a deeper level, other Christians around me. Kyle touches on all types of Christians, ones who were raised in the faith, others who became Christians as young adults or later in life, and shares the challenges each group faces. I loved that I could see myself and others in the examples he uses.


Overall:
This book will really shock you and shake you! It really helps guide you to understand where your faith is and where you'd like it to go. Kyle has a very easy writing style, so reading goes quickly. He also has hilarious quips in the footnotes and provide a lighter note to his otherwise serious topic of discussion. I absolutely loved this book!

Check out the Not a Fan site to learn more! 


No comments:

Post a Comment