Friday, January 31, 2014

First Friday Book Review - Made to Crave

Title and Author: Made to Crave: Satisfying your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food by: Lysa TerKeurst

Release Date: January 2011

Page Length: 218 pages

How I got the Book: local public library

Find OnlineGoodreads Amazon ChristianBook.com

Description: "Made to Crave is the missing link between a woman's desire to be healthy and the spiritual empowerment necessary to make that happen. The reality is we were made to crave. Craving isn't a bad thing. But we must realize God created us to crave more of Him. Many of us have misplaced that craving by overindulging in physical pleasures instead of lasting spiritual satisfaction. If you are struggling with unhealthy eating habits, you can break the 'I'll start again Monday' cycle, and start feeling good about yourself today." 


My Thoughts:
I picked up this book from the library and started reading it that night. Next thing I know I'm several chapters in and I realize I have to slow down! I probably could have finished this book in just one or two sittings- Lysa is that good! 

With real-life stories and fresh perspective, you can't not read this book if you have made the decision to lose weight in this new year. 

But What Makes This Different?

Lysa shares with us her personal journey of making eating healthy and exercising a spiritual habit and discipline. She reminds us that this journey of losing weight is WAY more than just counting calories, saying "no" to all things yummy, and dragging your butt to the gym. While those are good things, to make changes that stick, you have to make this a spiritual journey.  

Here's one passage that stuck with me... 


"Yes, I want to lose weight. But this journey is so much more than just that. 
It really is about learning to tell myself no and learning to make wiser choices daily. And somehow becoming a woman of self-discipline honors God and helps me live the godly characteristic of self-control."

When I read that passage (and chapter), it made me realize that I have to rely on the Holy Spirit to help me walk away from poor food choices. That this journey would not only require my physical strength, but also my spiritual strength and commitment. 

Multi-Faceted : 

Yes, this book is multi-faceted. It addresses every area or struggle that we will go through on the journey to better health. I was blown away by that! Here's a snapshot of what I'm talking about...

  • Lost weight before and now are struggling to keep it from coming back?
  • Been tempted by food in times of celebration (vacation)? Or in times of struggle (piling bills)?
  • Hate that word "diet" or "resolution"? Us too. Lysa says, "I'm not on a diet. I'm on a journey with Jesus to learn the fine art of self-discipline for the purpose of holiness."
  • Eating for happiness, or in denial of something? Trust me, I've been there too!
  • Do you think reaching your goal weight will make you truly happy? Think again: "If my happy was missing when I was larger, it will still be missing when I get smaller."


I love that Lysa meets us where we are as women. Broken. Confused. Self-Conscience. Eager for change, but not knowing what to do. Not knowing what will really work this time. If you identify with any one of these, I urge you to check out this book. Read. Pray. I promise God will meet you to help with your next steps. 

Overall:

Incredible read! Although I picked this up from the library, I will definitely purchase to add to my personal collection. This book has been the key for me to change my focus in losing weight, exercising my body, and praising God for the ability to do it! I feel confident in my goals and dreams now more than ever before! 



No comments:

Post a Comment