After throwing three showers within the past three weeks, I think I'm starting to get the hang of this! Here are some of my tips for putting together a fabulous bridal, baby, or engagement shower! Enjoy!
- Make sure you've got the essential decorations- personalized banner (they're hot these days!), photos of the guest of honor, candles, flowers, and of course a theme! For this shower (I had a week to pull together! Eeek!), we went with a play on words for "falling in love". I used tons of fall decorations I already had at home to help make this theme come together quickly.
- Write down your budget and stick to it! You can definitely throw a nice shower within your budget. Just remember to borrow party items from friends, enlist help of others with food, and plan ahead!
- Shop around and don't be afraid of returns! Between the power of online shopping, big box stores, and specialty stores, you've got options. Save all your receipts in case you find something cheaper elsewhere, for quick and easy returns. Also if you have extra (paper plates for example) after the shower, you can also return (provided it's not opened).
- Don't forget the drinks! I don't know how many showers or parties I've been to where there was only one or two options for drinks. People like soda, tea, lemonade, and alcohol! Seriously people! Food to feed everyone is important, but please don't skimp on the beverages. Stock up on BOGO's a few weeks leading up to the big day.
Here we've got coffee, milk, water, and lemonade for our dessert bar
- Thrift It- I've found more unique and fun items at thrift stores, garage sales, and Walmart then I know what to do with! They make for great conversation pieces at your shower. I found a pair of glass cappuccino mugs at Goodwill, which was adorable at our "love is brewing" shower.
- Set-up the night before! My mother-in-law taught me this trick. It saves so much time and headaches if you just set up the decorations, plates, chairs, serving dishes the night before.
- Don't forget your gift! Along with drinks, here's another item that often gets thought of last. Just because you help or host a shower, does not mean you should skimp on a gift. Consider thinking of your gift first before thinking of all the details of a shower. Here are two gifts I put together for under $20 each: baby girl diaper cake and an engagement gift basket. Too cute!
- Personalize your games! It is so sweet to have shower games that let guests get to know the couple better. Google search them- there's tons out there! Here are a few of my favs: The Newly Wed Game, He Said vs. She Said.
- Be Hipster. That's been my favorite buzzword of late. What I mean is, include something that's trendy in your shower. Right now printables are hot. You can find tons of cutesy sayings on Pinterest. Print them out (or create your own!) and put them in with your decorations. You never know what's trendy or hot right now, so search around. Things like printables or a photo booth give your shower a fun, trendy vibe. Fabulous!
"love is sweet... help yourself to a little treat" for our dessert bar
- Lastly, HAVE FUN! Remember that even though you're working the event (set-up, greeting, photography, hosting, tear-down), it's still supposed to be a party. Enjoy yourself before you have to start on dishes!