Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Last One!

The last of the cabinets!




I finally did it! 
The laundry room cabinets were the last to be stained, and my goal was to finish before the end of the year. 
I barely made it, as only yesterday I put the knobs on. 

When we bought the house, all the cabinets were honey oak wood right out of 1990. Now they are all a dark, espresso brown. Many of you have seen our kitchen cabinets, since I tackled those first over the summer when we moved in. A few months later I did the master bath cabinets and guest bath. 
Boy, was it tiring! I took several months off, but kept my goal of doing the laundry room by the end of 2012. Thankfully, I made it!

Here are a few of my tips if you'd like to master it yourself...

  • Pick a great product! I used Minwax PolyShades in Espresso Gloss. It stained as well as sealed and shined, so I didn't have to worry about buying another product once I was done staining. I used about a quart sized can each time I stained. 
  • Buy great accessories! Make sure you don't skimp on the other tools you need besides stain. I recommend a package of disposable gloves, drop cloths, rags (or I used old bath and hand towels), 4 or 5 natural bristle brushes (get a few 2 inch and 1 inch sizes), and a mask! This product is incredibly fume-y! Multiple fans recommended!
  • Trust the process! Every time I began coat number two, I freaked out. It was too dark; it was too light. But, in the end, everything came out even and perfect! Just trust the process and know that when it all dries, it comes out beautifully! Don't freak out and stop mid-way, just keep going!


Best of luck!



Beginning coat #2
All done!



1 comment:

  1. Impressive! I have re-painting my kitchen cabinets on my 2013 wish list. I keep chickening out, but you've given me a boost of confidence!

    ReplyDelete