Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Advent - Second Sunday


On this second Sunday of Advent, Daniel and I spent some time reflecting on Luke 2:39-45. This is the part of the Christmas story where Mary goes to visit her relative, Elizabeth. 

We spent some time dissecting the relationship between the two women, what they might have been thinking and personally going through at that time- Elizabeth 6 months pregnant and Mary (possibly) going through the first stages of pregnancy. 

We talked of these two being frightened and excited all at the same time. Of being overwhelmed and awestruck by such great blessing and responsibility.  

And another thing- it's interesting sometimes what details God decides to give or not give in bible passages. This specific story doesn't mention if Mary had another other female relations close to share her good news. We only hear that she shares with Elizabeth. Where is mom, or sister, or sister-in-law? 

We also are unsure of the motives of why Mary goes to see Elizabeth. Was she scared still? Was she looking for proof from the angel that its words were true? 

So many times in my life I know I look for that confirmation from others that yes, this is what God has for me. Mary is such a real and vulnerable character in this Christmas story. It's remarkable. I just truly love that we spend the whole month of December every year, year after year, going through this story. 



Mary Visits Elizabeth


39 "At that time Mary got ready and hurried to a town in the hill country of Judea, 40 where she entered Zechariah’s home and greeted Elizabeth. 41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 42 In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! 43 But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.45 Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!”

No comments:

Post a Comment